Thursday, May 8, 2014

15mm Painting Pics - finally finishing some long outstanding projects!

As a quick aside from the battle reports, I wanted to put up some pics of the recently completed armies I assembled for Hordes of the Things. These are Chariot Miniatures figures from their Undead and Lizardmen ranges; I started both of these armies over a decade ago and for the last dozen years or so they have waited patiently in hibernation for me to dust them off and put paint to brush once more, and this April/May I was finally ready to do so. On the whole I'm really pleased with how these came out (especially the War Turtles of the Lizardmen) and I have since expanded the skeletons significantly with some 'standard' units of blades, archers and spears as well as the Lizardmen with a unit of mages (this most recent stuff isn't pictured here but will be at a later date).







I also took the opportunity to finally base up some painted 6mm figures (Irregular fantasy and Baccus Romans) I've also had floating around for many a year; since the whole point of 6mm is to get armies that actually look like armies, I went with the 25mm basing standard (for HotT/DBA) to help make the units look bigger - I think they came out pretty well overall!



The desire to work on the smaller scales has continued to grow, and right now my focus is on 'finishing' the 6mm Irregular Elves to the point where they are a playable army as well as finally get some paint on my 15mm SF that has also been gathering dust for a long time now. It's interesting to see what is available out there now in these scales, certainly the 15mm SF has really taken off in a BIG way with some very impressive models and ranges from a variety of manufacturers. Fantasy also has a massive range of options.

Next up in addition to the above is a plan to add at least two more DBA armies to my collection - way back when I painted some Late Romans and Early Goths that have been my 'go to' armies for a quick throw down game of DBA for a long time (so long that they no longer match the army list in DBA 2.2, they were made for 1.0, though I'm hoping to correct this in the near future) as well as Classical Indians and Early Myceneans, which although they LOOK great actually don't game that well together being from two completely different periods of history. So, to correct this I'm going to put together a Alexandrian army and a Hittite one (to match up each of the other two respectively) which I am hoping will see them actually take to the table for some gaming action after a long absence.

I'm also excited that in addition to the Flames of War there is also some interest in doing some games using the above scales from several Club members - I can't wait! Maybe we will be able to try one of the campaign games from either HotT or DBA if we can get enough players/armies together, certainly I already own most of what I will need to make up the armies. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment